The 2017 Intergovernmental Authority on Development (IGAD) “Drought Resilience Summit: Visioning a Transformational Agenda for the Next 5 Years” is a three-day event to be convened in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia from 29 – 31 August 2017.
The Summit’s objectives is being planned:
- To raise awareness of the current need to redouble resilience and economic development focused investment in the region in light of the recurrent drought situation;
- To reaffirm the objectives of the IDDRSI resilience agenda that was set in response to the drought of 2010-2011;
- To review the progress made, the challenges met and the opportunities available to advance the process of building drought resilience through national investments programmes as well as partners investments;
- To highlight the need for closer cross-border cooperation and ecological zonal development approach;
- To mobilize all affected stakeholders, including investors; and to accelerate development in critical areas such as infrastructure, agriculture and energy, building greater capacity to manage climate and related economic shocks.