IGAD Member States agreed that IGAD – Secretariat established a Platform Coordination Unit (PCU) to serve the Regional Platform on Drought Resilience and Sustainability by providing the necessary services relevant to IDDRSI. The core functions of the PCU include coordinating:
- Regional Programming and Resource Mobilization: Coordinate the identification, prioritization, elaboration, and monitoring and evaluation of national and regional interventions aimed at building drought resilience especially in the IGAD arid and semi-arid lands (ASALs) and assist in Resource Mobilization to address the identified priority interventions;
- Regional Knowledge Management, communication and outreach: To collect, analyze and disseminate/publish evidence based information, best practices and lessons learnt on the implementation of the interventions at national and regional levels, involve media for outreach and practice advocacy
- Regional Capacity development and learning to generate more coherence and effectiveness among research and capacity building centers of excellent in the region, IGAD-institutional capacity services to MS and IGAD’s Institutional Strengthening process
The functions of the Regional Platform Coordination Unit
- Manage the day to day operations of the Platform Communication and liaison with development and implementing partners, MS and other stakeholders
- Develop the multi-Year Action Plan and the annual Program of Activities including a provisional budget to implement the Platform’s strategy.
- Prepare financial and technical reports on disbursements and activities at every PSC meeting or at six-monthly intervals;
- Support the Executive Secretary to develop the agenda and manage all PSC and Platform meetings
- Propose lead organizations responsible for implementing the Platform’s activities approval by PSC.
- Undertake other tasks as directed by the ES, PSC and/or the General Assembly
- Knowledge management including documenting and sharing the impact of the Platform through ex-post assessment of selected activities, best practices and lessons learnt. The team will organize, through appropriate means, a broad dissemination of lessons learnt and best practices from its activities and other relevant forms of knowledge at the General Assembly.
- Ensure wide dissemination of Platform information relating to progress and status of drought resilience attained.
- Install and use modern tools for tracking progress of implementation of Platform programmes and projects.
- Ensure that “Intellectual property rights” in any products developed with funding from the Platform are retained by the Platform and administered by IGAD. In addition ensure that products developed as part of the Platform activities and initiatives are widely and publicly available and that non-exclusive rights to exploit the related intellectual property rights are easily granted and not unduly withheld.
- Establish standardized continuous M and E system with built-in programme adjustment as need arises
- Institutionalize programme and financial M and E systems in all Platform interventions/actions