The regional Platform is to provide a mechanism for coordinated and harmonised...
IGAD Regional Platform
The regional Platform is to provide a mechanism for coordinated and harmonised implementation of development partner funded actions at the national and regional levels with the aim of sustainably enhancing disaster resilience of vulnerable communities especially those in the pastoral and agro-pastoral areas to end drought emergencies in the Horn of Africa.
The specific objectives of the IGAD Regional Platform are to:
- coordinate the identification, prioritization and elaboration of national and regional interventions aimed at building drought resilience especially in the IGAD arid and semi-arid lands (ASALs);
- mobilize resources (human, physical and financial) to address the identified priority interventions and
- To collect, analyse and disseminate/publish information on the implementation of the interventions at national and regional levels.
Platform Structure and Composition
The 3-tier platform comprising a General Assembly (GA) of all participating stakeholders, a 30-member Platform Steering Committee (PSC), and a Platform Coordinating Unit (PCU). The Platform Coordination Unit (PCU), hosted by the IGAD Secretariat has a basic functions namely, capacity development, knowledge management, partner coordination and programming.
There are five (5) categories of Platform members namely:
- Member States, AU, RECs;
- Funding Development Partners and, Implementing Partners and UN Agencies;
- Technical Partners including National and International training and research organizations; and
- Private Sector Actors including the farmers and trader associations
- Civil Society Partners: National and regional civil society organisations that play an active role in dryland development, pastoralism and disaster risk management in IGAD Member States.
The Platform has three main organs that are embedded with the IGAD structure:
- All Platform Members - General Assembly
- Platform Steering Committee (PSC)
- Programme Coordination Unit
The Platform meets twice a year as a General Assembly (GA) of all it members chaired by the country chairing IGAD meetings. The GA makes recommendations to the IGAD Executive Secretary who may seek Council guidance on their implementation. The two meetings are piggy-backed IGAD ministerial meetings or Summits. The GA gives instructions and general directions to the PSC. The PCS and the IGAD ES work together to implement the decisions of the General Assembly and the different regional Ministerial fora. The IGAD Executive Secretary handles applications to join the Regional Platform.
Platform Steering Committee
PSC has close to 30 members including:
- IGAD Secretariat (6)
- Member States (8)
- AUC and NEPAD (1)
- EAC and COMESA (2)
- IGAD Business Forum (2)
- IGAD NGO Forum (1)
- Development (6) and Implementing partners (2)
- Technical partners (2)
- Regional Platform Coordination Unit (Ex-officio, Secretary).
The Chair of the PSC is the IGAD ES, with the Director of Agriculture and Environment Division or his/her appointee/nominee as the alternate chair . The participation of national level PSCs in the coordination meetings of the Regional PSC ensures that there is integration and harmony between regional and national programme implementation. The advantage of having a big Steering Committee is that sub-committees can be formed to handle such issues as joint programming and funding.
Platform Coordination Unit (PCU) comprises the following officers:
- The Platform manager
- Programming Coordinator.
- Capacity Development Coordinator.
- Knowledge Management Coordinator.
- Development Partners Coordinator.