- Support and enhance networks and institutions of excellence in research, knowledge, science, technology and innovations relevant to IGAD region.
- Support research and capacity building in priority themes including livelihoods, products development, food and nutrition security, water security, climate change resilience, renewable energy security, bio-security and bio-safety, trans-boundary diseases and global health, biotechnology, African biodiversity and natural products industry, ecosystem health and restoration, green technology, gender, indigenous knowledge and technology for climate risk management, and applied ICT and knowledge management.
- Strengthen relevant global, regional and national research and higher education networks, collaborations and integration.
- Enhance ASALs-based commodity research, knowledge management, information sharing, communication, technical/ extension support, advisory services and training;
- Support and enhance policy research and policies that support research, knowledge management and technology transfer at all levels.