DROUGHT RESILIENCE AND SUSTAINABLE LIVELIHOODS PROGRAMME IN THE HORN OF AFRICA
PHASE II : Somalia
The Somalia component of the Drought Resilience and Sustainable Livelihoods Programme – Project II (DRSLP II) in the Horn of Africa is part of a multinational programme that covers Eritrea, Ethiopia, Somalia, and Sudan. The project will be implemented in Puntland, Somaliland and South Central regions of Somalia. For insecurity reasons, the Federal Government of Somalia and the Bank agreed to limit the DRSLP II activities for South Central Somalia to capacity building of line ministries. The total cost of the Somalia Component is UA 15 million (5 million from Transition Support Facility, and 10 million from the ADF XIII Regional Operations Window).
The project is expected to improve living conditions of rural community beneficiaries in target areas of Puntland and Somaliland estimated to be 800 000 people and their 4 million animals by i) improving water availability and accessibility, and the environment through land degradation and desertification control measures; ii) improvement of livestock production and management, animal health and infrastructure for market access; and; ii) improvement of opportunities for women in terms of water management, accessing markets and generating more income; vi) building human and institutional capacity to handle agro-pastoral production. Due to the seasonal migratory nature of the pastoralist, more people and livestock from other regions of the country are expected to benefit from the project as many will move to the project area at least part of the year. The project is expected to also train locally and regionally at least 100 personnel (30% women) in the ministries of Livestock, Agriculture, and Water; and about 1,500 community members (at-least 30% women) will benefit from sensitization and awareness workshops on natural resources conservation and management, peace building and conflict resolution
Beneficiaries target areas
|Target population||800,000 Million People|
4 Million Animals
Project Descritption The DRSLP II is geared towards building resilience and sustainable livelihoods for pastoral and agro-pastoral communities in drought-prone areas of Somalia. The overall goal is to contribute to poverty reduction and accelerated economic growth on a sustainable basis in Somalia. This will be achieved by investing in natural resources (water, pasture) management, integrated land management and ecosystem restoration and protection as well as rebuilding of agricultural and livestock infrastructures,. The medium and long term goal of the programme is to stabilize the pastoral and agro-pastoral production systems and improve livelihoods and resilience of the production systems. The specific objectives of the programme are:
- Improvement of water availability and accessibility, and improve the environment through land degradation and desertification control measures ;
- Improvement of livestock production and management, animal health and infrastructure for market access;
- Building human and institutional capacity to handle agro-pastoral production, improve policy and institutional frameworks; and
- Improved opportunities for women in terms of water management, accessing markets and generating more income.
- Construction/rehabilitation of 11 Baleys (flood water harvesting reservoirs) with 50,000 m3 volume; 6 boreholes with ancillary structures (animal troughs, pipes, reservoir tank, generator); 30 surface/subsurface sand dams, 1 water storage steel tank (500 m3).
- Land degradation and desertification control measures, including flood water diversions and water spreading in 500 ha in 3 locations in Puntlan
- Construction/rehabilitation of 190 km of rural feeder roads, 5 livestock market enclosures (with loading ramps, watering points, sanitation and shelters) 12 certification points (holding grounds, pasture/feed, water, shades, vet services).
- Establishment/rehabilitation of 5 regional animal health centres with laboratory diagnosis and disease surveillance capabilities; 7 mobile veterinary clinical services (equipment and shades).
Capacity building of 100 personnel (at least 30% women) in the ministries of Livestock, Agriculture, and Water
- Rehabilitation, furnishing and equipping of Mogadishu Water Agency Building; offices of the Ministries of Agriculture and Livestock in Mogadishu, Middle & Lower Shabelle regions.
- Sensitization and awareness raising workshops on natural resources conservation and management, peace building and conflict resolution for about 1,500 community members (at-least 30% women)
- Technical assistance to the project management and coordination at national and regional levels