- Developing early warning and response systems for effective climate and drought resilience building and management systems
- Integration of drought disaster resilience building in the implementation of disaster preparedness, response and recovery programmes in IGAD region.
- Mainstream drought disaster resilience building as a local, national and regional priority with an enabling policy environment and a strong institutional basis for implementation.
- Support member states and regional institutions identify, assess and monitor drought disaster risks and enhance early warning on ongoing basis.
- Enhance use of education, knowledge, innovation, science and technology to build a culture of safety and drought disaster resilience at all levels.
- Strengthen drought disaster risk preparedness for effective response at all levels.
- Reduce underlying disaster risk factors while up-scaling drought disaster resilience enhancing and building factors.
- Adopt multi-sectoral, inter-disciplinary and multi-hazard response approach to drought disasters (saving lives and improving quality of life).
- Developmental relief programming.