The Regional Drought Resilience Initiative aims to end drought emergencies by addressing the underlying causes of vulnerability and initiating sustainable development in households and communities in arid and semi-arid landscapes of the IGAD-Region. To serve the Regional Platform on Drought Resilience and Sustainability as the main coordination mechanism to implement the Initiative, IGAD-Secretariat is establishing a Platform Coordination Unit (PCU) at its Headquarters in Djibouti. In order to enhance overall performance of all stakeholder involved in the implementation of the Initiative, the PCU will provide strategic services in three systemically interrelated fields, namely in (a) Regional Programming, (b) Knowledge and Information Management, and (c) Capacity Development.
The role of the coordinator for regional programming is to coordinate and facilitate regional programming tasks within the approved Strategic Plan on Drought Resilience (IDDRSI) and its national and regional programming papers (CPPs and RPP).
Core Functions and Responsibilities
Under the supervision of the Platform Coordinator and in close collaboration with IGAD-Divisions and Specialized Offices the Coordinator for Regional Programming has the following responsibilities and core functions:
- Facilitation of bilateral and multi-lateral Transfrontier Cooperation Agreements on drought resilience initiatives among IGAD Member States including advice on institutional arrangements for coordination and implementation;
- Facilitation and coordination of regional programme development on drought resilience in cross-border regions through sectoral, multi-sectoral and spatial planning processes with multi-stakeholder involvement;
- Development and operation of a regional M&E- and Reporting-System on Drought Resilience based on IDDRSI-Result Framework. The M&E-System will cover overall monitoring of key aggregated indicators based on Country Data, as well as impact and performance monitoring of the regional programme portfolio;
- Facilitation of finance mobilization as well as the design and establishment of joint regional finance mechanisms for drought resilience investments through innovative partnerships between the public, private and non-profit sector and development partner’s ODA;
- Contribution to the regular reporting to the Steering Committee and General Assembly of the Regional Platform on Drought Resilience and Sustainability as well as to the Council of Ministers;
- Contribution to the institutional involvement of programming capacities of the IGAD-Secretariat and to the mainstreaming of drought resilience approaches into the overall IGAD-Strategy