The IGAD Drought Resilience Initiative is pleased to announce di Monitoring tool, a new web-based project monitoring solution intended to facilitate the tracking of the IDDRSI development plans at regional, national and sub-national level. The decision to provide a harmonized project monitoring tool was reached at the 1st IDDRSI M&E Working Group meeting in September 2014 - where IGAD was requested to lead and coordinate the identification and deployment of the tool. The guiding principle IGAD used in identifying a result based monitoring tool to achieve the objectives of the IDDRSI regional M&E system was based on:
- Real-time results monitoring for key indicators at Regional, National and Sub-national Level
- Improve alignment & coordination among partners
- Joint approach to harmonize development of indicators
- Aggregations at all geographic levels
- Implement multi-dimensional nature of programmatic interventions
Some of the key features of di Monitoring include:
- Customization features to adapt to specific monitoring frameworks;
- Online access to program indicators within multiple frameworks in a single web-based application;
- Quick filtering of records to view which indicators are on track, almost on track, and off track;
- Viewing of indicators by various user-defined dimensions, such as those associated with a particular partner or donor; and
- Entering of actual data values online on a rolling basis
Piloting of Di-monitoring tool
A phased implementation arrangement was designed to pave way for a systematic and sustainable deployment and application of the too for tracking projects. The first phase of the process covered 2 regional projects being implemented within the framework of the IGAD regional programming paper in Djibouti, Ethiopia, Kenya and Uganda. The second phase is expected to cover Somalia, South Sudan and Sudan including the designing of a dashboard to enhance visualization and reporting for middle and senior level management at different tiers of government at national and regional level.
Some facts about Di-Monitoring
- Di-Monitoring is a web-based application that responds to the specific needs of monitoring and evaluation specialists and program administrators. The application is designed specifically to monitor the planned targets and actual results expressed in a planning document. For example, users may create an interactive dashboard to view and organize framework elements, easily track progress on performance indicators, quickly filter for underperforming indicators, and view data in real-time.
- Di-Monitoring complements other knowledge management tools such as 3WMap, IGADInfo and MS DevInfo database systems. Database components and values can be directly imported into di Monitoring from any DevInfo database. Conversely, a di Monitoring framework can be exported as a DevInfo database, enabling users to create tables, maps, and graphs from the data.
- Di-Monitoring is a web-based application that can be installed on a local or external server. di Monitoring frameworks are created, saved, and updated on the host server. Users provided with login details can view and update these frameworks as long as they have access to the Internet.
- The di Monitoring system is built on established methodologies for creating logical frameworks that tie performance data to stated goals. Traditionally, these frameworks have been static documents, available only in hard-copy format. As such, users are unable to view progress on all or selected framework elements in a single location, nor can multiple partners simultaneously create and edit a framework as a team.
- Di-Monitoring streamlines the work of creating and updating monitoring frameworks. The application is designed to harness the strengths of a team of specialists, both in terms of framework design and administration. Framework elements such as pillars can be conveniently divided among a team working remotely, then joined together into a single framework once the individual components are completed. By enabling teams to conveniently share responsibilities
How to use Monitoring tool